The Story of the Palatine, Lake Zurich & Wauconda Railroad by Richard Whitney
The Palatine, Lake Zurich & Wauconda Railroad, a small line whose nickname
for one of its engines, Old Maud, became synonymous with the railroad
itself, served the communities mentioned in its name, in what became the
suburban area northwest of Chicago. Originally conceived as a 75-mile
electric interurban line connecting Rockford, Elgin and Waukegan, the
long-planned road was initially built, became steam-powered, and spanned
only a fraction of its intended route.
This book covers from the railroad’s conception in 1908 till the
dismantling in 1929. The railroad operated for a relatively short period
of time, and it faced financial hardships from the beginning. Those
associated with the PLZ&W hoped that the line would be incorporated into a
larger railroad, and the Samuel Insull group of companies twice considered
Hardbound with 184 pages, with more than 220 photos and illustrations.